[Bitcoin-development] Announcing the Statoshi fork

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Wed May 7 20:25:31 UTC 2014

I think there a few different possible ways to go here.

One is to try and simplify the setup of all the components so it all gets
installed together. That might be feasible in some quite restricted setups
but the installation instructions for Graphite look kind of terrifying.

Another is to export stats over regular TCP and make them public so
literally anyone can listen to the stats feed for any node. Then people who
dig stats and graphs could work on stats aggregators that give global
network visibility independently, effectively crawling the p2p network for
data. It'd have the advantage of having zero setup for the node operators
and not require much in the way of resources.

For what it's worth, although the environment is a bit different inside
Google the latter approach is used. Monitoring servers locate servers of
interest via a discovery service, connect to them and start streaming stats
data into a database service that can then be queried later to get graphs.

The stats are also run through various rules to obtain alerts about
problematic conditions. For example, if a subset of the network splits it
might be hard to notice that if the node operators aren't paying attention
and Matt's fork alert/emailing code isn't set up. But if there was a site
crawling nodes and aggregating chain heights by version, that could trigger
an alert to people who *are* paying attention.

I know from practical experience that monitoring and analysis tends to
appeal more to certain types of people than others. So I quite like the
"let anyone monitor" approach. However, it may not be appropriate in a P2P
network, I did not think about it much.

Obviously I'm assuming none of the stats expose privacy sensitive data.