[Bitcoin-development] A statistical consensus rule for reducing 0-conf double-spend risk

Tom Harding tomh at thinlink.com
Mon May 12 13:04:47 UTC 2014

Sorry to run on, a correction is needed.  A much better approximation
requires that the rule-following minority finds the next TWO blocks, so
the cost is

(total miner revenue of block)*(fraction of hashpower following the rule)^2

So the lower bound cost in this very pessimistic scenario is .0025 BTC,
still quite high for one transaction.  I guess miner could try to make a
business out of mining double-spends, to defray that cost.