[Bitcoin-development] PSA: Please sign your git commits

Chris Beams chris at beams.io
Wed May 21 16:39:44 UTC 2014

Hi Wladimir,

I'm personally happy to comply with this for any future commits, but wonder if you've considered the arguments against commit signing [1]? Note especially the reference therein to Linus' original negative opinion on signed commits [2].

I came across these when searching for a way to enable signing by default, e.g. a `git config` option that might allow for this. Unfortunately, there isn't one, meaning it's likely that most folks will forget to do this most of the time.

If you're really serious about it, you should probably reject pull requests without signed commits; otherwise, signing becomes meaningless because only honest authors do it, and forgetful or malicious ones can avoid it without penalty.

That said, I'm not sure that creating such a barrier to contribution is worth it.

- Chris

[1]: http://stackoverflow.com/a/10166916/622403
[2]: http://git.661346.n2.nabble.com/GPG-signing-for-git-commit-td2582986.html