[Bitcoin-development] Cut-through propagation of blocks

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Sun May 25 09:36:40 UTC 2014

> There
> is no need to have Bitcoin transport all using a single protocol, and
> we can get better robustness and feature velocity if there are a
> couple protocols in use (you could just run a block-transport-protocol
> daemon that connects to your local node via the classic protocol).

Although this is a somewhat appealing notion, would it really improve
feature velocity? I don't think the current p2p protocol is holding
anything back, and having to implement features twice in two protocols
would slow things down quite a bit.

Probably the lowest hanging fruit now is fixing the 100msec sleep and just
generally having tools to measure latency and queuing inside the code.