[Bitcoin-development] The difficulty of writing consensus critical code: the SIGHASH_SINGLE bug

Peter Todd pete at petertodd.org
Fri Nov 7 08:48:10 UTC 2014

On Fri, Nov 07, 2014 at 09:07:47AM +0100, Tamas Blummer wrote:
> Peter,
>
> forking would work best with a freeze of the consensus code. Do you see any chance for that?

To a first approximation the consensus code *is* frozen; if we introduce
any consensus changes into it at this point it's due to a mistake, not
intentionally.

Of course, that's not including the two serious soft-fork proposals in
the air right now, Pieter Wuille's BIP62 and my CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY.
However dealing with proposed changes like those in an environment where
the competing implementations all use essentially the same
consensus-critical code is much easier than in an environment where they
don't; I say this on both a technical and political level.

--
'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org
00000000000000000c901eb1b6b765519b99c3afd7a9062ff4cfa29666ce140d