[Bitcoin-development] Increasing the OP_RETURN maximum payload size

Jorge Timón jtimon at jtimon.cc
Sun Nov 16 18:44:58 UTC 2014

I agree with Luke, we can endlessly discuss the "best defaults" like
the default size allowed for OP_RETURN, minimum fees, anti-dust
policies, first-seen vs replace-by-fee, etc; but the fact is that
policies depend on miners. Unfortunately most miners and pools are
quite apathetic when it comes to configure their own policy.
In my opinion the best we can do is to make it easier for miners to
implement their own policies by abstracting out those parts of the
code. Pull requests like #5071 and #5114 are steps in that direction.
So if you're interested in having more miners accepting 80 bytes
OP_RETURN transactions, I suggest you invest some time reviewing and
testing those PRs.
Although this wasn't its main purpose, separating script/standard was
also a little step in the same direction.