[Bitcoin-development] Increasing the OP_RETURN maximum payload size

Jorge Timón jtimon at jtimon.cc
Sun Nov 16 19:04:48 UTC 2014

As an aside, the decision to make it 40 bytes made sense because it is
enough for timestamping. In fact, you can do cheaper and even secret
(and thus impossible to censor by miners) timestamping using
pay-to-contract [1], which uses exactly 0 extra bytes in your
transaction and the blockchain.
I remember people asking in #bitcoin-dev "Does anyone know any use
case for greater sizes OP_RETURNs?" and me answering "I do not know of
any use cases that require bigger sizes".
I'm aware that so called "proof of publication" is not equivalent to
timestamping, but I wasn't aware at the moment (and I don't think it's
very interesting but that's obviously only my opinion, "embedded
systems" developers will disagree).

[1] Here's a video explaining pay-to-contract in the context of
invoicing as a use case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwyALGlG33Q
Here's a generic working implementation:
https://github.com/Blockstream/contracthashtool