[Bitcoin-development] Increasing the OP_RETURN maximum payload size

Jean-Pierre Rupp root at haskoin.com
Thu Nov 20 23:39:16 UTC 2014

Agree,

There are many legitimate uses for a larger OP_RETURN, and application developers are already complaining that the current size is not enough.  It is about adding value to the blockchain.  I know it can grow the blockchain faster, but so far at 40 bytes Bitcoin hasn't experienced death by bloat, nor that is even close to happen.  I understand starting with a prudent approach, but I think it is safe to increase this without worrying.  Actually I would make it even bigger than 80 bytes.

Cheers

--
Be Happy :)