[Bitcoin-development] bitcoind as a library

Wladimir laanwj at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 17:54:33 UTC 2014

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 5:27 PM, Mem Wallet <memwallet.info at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there an intention that the various internal libraries could/should
> be strengthened and heirachicalized such that they would be suitable for
> 3rd party development of bitcoin related services and tools, or is that not
> a goal, and some other project would have to fill such a role ?

The plan is to provide the consensus functionality as a library, the
essential parts that make bitcoin bitcoin.
0.10 will have a basic transaction/script verifier available.
In the version after that, I expect this will be extended to further
utxo set management, but no API has been worked out for that yet.
There are also plans to add a library for transaction signing.

However there is no goal to expose *everything* as a library.
Certainly not wallet- or user interface related functionality.
Specialized utility libraries would fill this purpose better.
See for example https://github.com/bitcoin/libbase58 for base58 processing.

Wladimir