[Bitcoin-development] bitcoind as a library

Oliver Egginger bitcoin at olivere.de
Fri Nov 28 17:22:27 UTC 2014

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 6:54 PM, Wladimir <laanwj at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 5:27 PM, Mem Wallet <memwallet.info at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there an intention that the various internal libraries could/should
>> be strengthened and heirachicalized such that they would be suitable for
>> 3rd party development of bitcoin related services and tools, or is that not
>> a goal, and some other project would have to fill such a role ?
>
> The plan is to provide the consensus functionality as a library, the
> essential parts that make bitcoin bitcoin.
> 0.10 will have a basic transaction/script verifier available.
> In the version after that, I expect this will be extended to further
> utxo set management, but no API has been worked out for that yet.
> There are also plans to add a library for transaction signing.
>
> However there is no goal to expose *everything* as a library.
> Certainly not wallet- or user interface related functionality.
> Specialized utility libraries would fill this purpose better.
> See for example https://github.com/bitcoin/libbase58 for base58 processing.

Sorry for the off-topic but while reading this I like to ask you for
picocoin, see:

https://github.com/jgarzik/picocoin

For a research project I'm looking for a C library to operate some block
chain analysis (parsing raw blocks and transactions). Has anyone of you
experience with picocoin for that? Are there any relevant limitations?

- oliver