[Bitcoin-development] BIP72 amendment proposal

Christophe Biocca christophe.biocca at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 15:33:36 UTC 2014

Specifically relevant here:
http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/34796/truncating-the-output-of-sha256-to-128-bits.

If you're going to truncate though, why not just leave the amount of
bits up the the person generating the QR code? The client simply takes
the hash prefix (any length up to full 256-bits) and makes sure it's a
strict prefix of the actual hash of the payment request.

That way we leave up to implementers to experiment with different
lengths and figure out what the optimum is (which could depend on the
security/convenience tradeoff of that particular transaction, as in
more bits for large payments).