[Bitcoin-development] BIP72 amendment proposal

Aaron Voisine voisine at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 18:43:32 UTC 2014

Are there any circumstances where the payment request object might be
served over a different domain than the CNAME of the object's signer?

BIP72 states "Bitcoin wallets must support fetching PaymentRequests
via http and https protocols;". If the request object is signed by the
owner of the domain, then the worst an attacker who doesn't have the
signing key can do is replace the request with another validly signed
request intended for someone else, but that could be the attacker's
own product order, tricking someone else into paying for it.

Should BIP72 require that signed payment requests be from the same
domain, and also require https?

Aaron

Aaron Voisine
breadwallet.com