[Bitcoin-development] Deprecating Bitcoin Core's regtest-specific `setgenerate` behaviour

Pieter Wuille pieter.wuille at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 14:26:12 UTC 2015

Hello everyone,

Bitcoin Core's `setgenerate` RPC call has had a special meaning for
-regtest (namely instantaneously mining a number of blocks, instead of
starting a background CPU miner).

We're planning to deprecate that overloaded behaviour, and replace it with
a separate RPC call `generate`. Is there any software or user who would
need compatibility with the old behaviour? We're generally very
conservative in changing RPC behaviour, but as this is not related to any
production functionality, we may as well just switch it.

Note that the bitcoin.org developer documentation will need to be updated.

--
Pieter