[Bitcoin-development] Fwd: Reusable payment codes

Justus Ranvier justus.ranvier at monetas.net
Sun Apr 26 14:50:00 UTC 2015

Payment codes establish the identity of the payer and allow for simpler
methods for identifying the payee, and automatically provide the payee with
the information they need to send a refund.

If merchants and customers were using payment codes, they would not need
the BIP70 equivalents.

I think the best way to explain payment codes is that they add the missing
"from address" to transactions which users want, but we've had to tell them
they can't have.

A payment code behaves much more like an email address than a traditional
Bitcoin address.