[bitcoin-dev] "A Transaction Fee Market Exists Without a Block Size Limit"--new research paper suggests

Dave Hudson dave at hashingit.com
Tue Aug 4 18:41:53 UTC 2015

The paper is nicely done, but I'm concerned that there's a real problem with equation 4. The orphan rate is not just a function of time; it's also a function of the block maker's proportion of the network hash rate. Fundamentally a block maker (pool or aggregation of pools) does not orphan its own blocks. In a degenerate case a 100% pool has no orphaned blocks. Consider that a 1% miner must assume a greater risk from orphaning than, say, a pool with 25%, or worse 40% of the hash rate.

I suspect this may well change some of the conclusions as larger block makers will definitely be able to create larger blocks than their smaller counterparts.

Cheers,
Dave