[bitcoin-dev] Fees and the block-finding process

Ryan Butler rryananizer at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 17:47:22 UTC 2015

Interesting position there Peter...you fear more people actually using
bitcoin.  The less on chain transactions the lower the velocity and the
lower the value of the network.  I would be careful what you ask for
because you end up having nothing left to even root the security of these
off chain transactions with and then neither will exist.

Nobody ever said you wouldn't run out of capacity at any size.  It's quite
the fallacy to draw the conclusion from that statement that block size
should remain far below a capacity it can easily maintain which would bring
more users/velocity/value to the system.  The outcomes of both of those
scenarios are asymmetric.  A higher block size can support more users and
volume.

Raising the blocksize isn't out of fear.  It's the realization that we are
at a point where we can raise it and support more users and transactions
while keeping the downsides to a minimum (centralization etc).
On Aug 7, 2015 11:28 AM, "Pieter Wuille via bitcoin-dev" <