[bitcoin-dev] If you had a single chance to double the transactions/second Bitcoin allows...

Mark Friedenbach mark at friedenbach.org
Fri Aug 7 23:01:05 UTC 2015

Actually I gave a cached answer earlier which on further review may need
updating. (Bad Mark!)

I presume by "what's more likely to matter is seconds" you are referencing
point of sale. As you mention yourself, lightning network or green address
style payment escrow obviates the need for short inter-block times.

But with lightning there is a danger of channels being exhausted in the
time between blocks, causing the need for new channels to be established.
So lightning does in fact benefit from moderately shorter inter-block
times, although how much of an issue this will be is anyone's guess now.

Still the first two points about larger SPV proofs and selfish mining still
hold true, which sets the bar particularly high for justifying more
frequent blocks.