[bitcoin-dev] What Lightning Is

Patrick Strateman patrick.strateman at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 22:06:03 UTC 2015

I suspect there is some amount of confusion here on terms.

The hub is essentially swapping funds between payment channels.

The hub's entire business is centered around having payment channels
open with other hubs/users.

If the hub requires user funds to open these channels... then the users
have no reason to pay the hub anything in fees.

A hub that doesn't use it's own funds to open payment channels to other
hubs/merchants is useless.