[bitcoin-dev] Off-chain transactions and miner fees

info at bitmarkets.net info at bitmarkets.net
Sun Aug 9 22:20:36 UTC 2015

Hello all,

one argument I often read on this mailing list is that it's essential to
reward miners with transaction fees at some point to secure the network.

Off-chain transactions, whether it's Lightning or something else,
potentially extract fees, which may otherwise be paid to miners, if the
transactions were actually on-chain.

In this context, wouldn't it be contradictory, maybe even harmful, to
aim for an environment, where some/many/most transactions are off-chain?

I have not yet seen this conflict addressed in the recent discussions.