[bitcoin-dev] Fees and the block-finding process

Tom Harding tomh at thinlink.com
Wed Aug 12 00:56:05 UTC 2015

On 8/11/2015 2:23 PM, Adam Back via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> I dont think Bitcoin being cheaper is the main characteristic of
> Bitcoin.  I think the interesting thing is trustlessness - being able
> to transact without relying on third parties.

That rules out Lightning Network.

Lightning relies on third parties all over the place.  Many things must
be done right, and on-time by N intermediate third parties (subject to
business pressures and regulation) or your payment will not work.

Lightning hubs can't steal your money.  Yay!  But banks stealing your
payment money is not a problem with today's payment systems. Some real
problems with those systems are:

  - Limited ACCESS to payment systems
  - High FEES
  - Transaction AMOUNT restrictions
  - FRAUD due to weak technology
  - CURRENCY conversions

Plain old bitcoin solves all of these problems.

Bitcoin does have challenges.  THROUGHPUT and TIME-TO-RELIABILITY are
critical ones.  DECENTRALIZATION and PRIVACY must not be degraded.
These challenges can be met and exceeded.