[bitcoin-dev] A summary list of all concerns related to not rising the block size

Geir Harald Hansen operator at bitminter.com
Thu Aug 13 22:01:15 UTC 2015

3) A few more people begin using bitcoin. Bitcoin buckles and dies.

- Something happens a few months from now causing an influx of new users
and more transactions.
- Blocks are constantly full.
- A backlog of transactions keeps growing indefinitely.
- At first people say "bitcoin is slow". After a while they say "bitcoin
doesn't work".
- Changing the hard limit on block size requires a fork and takes too long.
- As bitcoin no longer works people stop using it.
- Bitcoin lives out the last of its days in the backwaters of the
internet with only 5 users. They keep telling people "we increased the
block size now". Unfortunately noone is listening anymore.
- People laugh at you and say "I told you that buttcoin thing was doomed
to fail. After all it wasn't real money."

If the hard limit had been increased earlier then mining pools would
have been able to react quickly by upping their own soft limit. But this
was not the case and so ended Bitcoin.

So in summary:

By increasing the block size limit you run the risk of:
- The transaction fee market takes a little longer to develop.
By not increasing the limit you run the risk of:
- Bitcoin dies. The end.

Transaction fees should not be the main topic of this discussion, and
probably not even a part of it at all. That seems outright irresponsible
to me.

Regards,
Geir H. Hansen, Bitminter mining pool