[bitcoin-dev] Adjusted difficulty depending on relative blocksize

Anthony Towns aj at erisian.com.au
Fri Aug 14 14:20:35 UTC 2015

On 14 August 2015 at 11:59, Jakob Rönnbäck <

> What if one were to adjust the difficulty (for individual blocks)
> depending on the relative size to the average block size of the previous
> difficulty period? (I apologize if i’m not using the correct terms, I’m not
> a real programmer, and I’ve only recently started to subscribe to the
> mailing list)

​That would mean that as usage grew, blocksize could increase, but
confirmation times would also increase (though presumably less than
linearly). That seems like a loss?

If you also let the increase in confirmation time (due to miners finding
harder blocks rather than a reduction in hashpower) then get reflected back
as decreased difficulty, it'd probably be simpler to just dynamically
adjust the max blocksize wouldn't it?

Cheers,
aj​

--