[bitcoin-dev] [BIP-draft] CHECKSEQUENCEVERIFY - An opcode for relative locktime

Mark Friedenbach mark at friedenbach.org
Fri Aug 14 21:29:31 UTC 2015

With the assumed malleability-fix CHECKSIG2 version of lightning, watching
for and responding to bad behavior is fully outsourceable. You can
synchronize channel state (signed refund transactions) with a third party
that watches for replay of old transactions on the mainnet, and starts the
refund process if it observes them, paying the fees necessary to get on the
chain.

With the CLTV/CSV-only form of the hash time-lock contracts that Rusty has
developed, this is indeed something the users' wallets would have to be
online to observe happening and respond to. I presume that we are
eventually going to get a CHECKSIG2 with some kind of malleability-immune
signing scheme in the long term, and that we are not interested in
introducing new consensus behavior to cover that short stopgap.

> I'm not even sure if sufficient coordination is a sufficient solution.

A regrettable choice of words. In this case it is game theoretic
cooperation, not coordination. The users need only expect that each other
would react the same way, being willing to burn money as fees that would
otherwise be stolen. They don't actually have to communicate with each
other in order to cooperate.

You are correct though that hubs-with-hashpower complicate this situation.
Although a hub with hashpower also creates risk in the timestop scenario
too...