[bitcoin-dev] Bitcoin XT 0.11A

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Sat Aug 15 18:38:22 UTC 2015

Fair enough, this is what open source is all about. Good things
sometimes come out of controversial actions. I briefly read the
manifesto, saw the migration plan, it is not that greedy and in theory
it is possible to migrate safely with no (big) incidents.

What seams a little bit unfair is that only miners get to vote and
decide, and the users will have nothing to say about it. Not even
individual miners will vote, since it will be mostly only mining pools
(individual small miners will accept whatever their mining pool runs
on). There are more users than miners obviously, the miners just mine
transactions for the users, it is the users who keep the btc/usd price.

I use bitcoin heavily (not from time to time) but I don't mine - can I
vote? The way I see it I cannot, and I am not saying it is a bad thing,
but I missed the argument explaining why users don't matter and only
miners do.

The btc/usd rate is based on supply and demand, only users take part in
this. If 20% of the miners (hashing power) go away, the network will
still operate normally (lower nethash and probably difficulty) and the
btc/usd price will be the same, but if 20% of the users go away the
btc/usd price will drop -> mining will be less profitable -> miners
could be forced to quit. In other words, the users have more control
over the miners. Why ignore?