[bitcoin-dev] Bitcoin XT 0.11A

Eric Voskuil eric at voskuil.org
Sun Aug 16 20:27:41 UTC 2015

[cross-posted to libbitcoin]

I applaud this effort not for the merits of the hard fork but on the
effects of the code fork. We have been witnessing the self-destruction
of Bitcoin's central authority. This is a necessary outcome.

Understandably, many are concerned that if consensus settles on a larger
block size Bitcoin will suffer greater centralization. The point of
Bitcoin however is that nobody is in control of consensus. If a
consensus decision leads to centralization, the consensus will move.

Yes, when this happens people who bet on the losing fork will lose
money. This is how Bitcoin works. One bets not on personal desires but
on what others will accept. That is how consensus is built.

Some fret that if this process evolves Bitcoin will suffer a
catastrophic loss of "value" and not recover. This may come to pass, but
there is no avoiding the possibility.

The ease with which consensus can move when it wants to is important. In
other words, friction is weakness and a single overly complex codebase
is high friction.

Amir saw this coming before most. While we are posting manifestos, I
thought it more than appropriate to quote from the libbitcoin manifesto:

http://libbitcoin.dyne.org/libbitcoin-manifesto.pdf