[bitcoin-dev] libconsensus assertion fails if used in multiple threads

Tamas Blummer tamas at bitsofproof.com
Tue Aug 18 10:31:52 UTC 2015

Thanks a lot Cory for following through the test case and producing a patch.

I confirm that libconsensus is now running stable within the Bits of Proof stack,
in-line with test cases we use to verify the java implementation of the script engine,
that are BTW borrowed from Bitcoin Core.

The performance of libconsensus is surprisingly close to the java one.
Validating a 2-of-2 a multi-sig  transaction runs at 1021 ops/sec with java and 1135 ops/sec
in libconsensus. This is on a 2.2GH i7 laptop (4 hyper threading cores used by 8 threads).
Another nice demonstration why one should not trade in advances
of languages for the last decades for a marginal gain of performance with C/C++,
I assume thereby that Bouncy Castle’ EC lib s not superior to OpenSSL's.

I disagree that the problem was rare in the real-world, it should affect any modern
implementation that validates transactions parallel in multiple threads.

Aborting also does not make the problem less severe in my opinion.
Therefore hope the pull will be included into Core with next release.

I can’t assign a timeline to “near future" secp256k1 integration. Can you?

Tamas Blummer