[bitcoin-dev] Bitcoin XTs Tor IP blacklist downloading system has significant privacy leaks.

Peter Todd pete at petertodd.org
Wed Aug 19 01:36:45 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 09:08:01PM -0400, Christophe Biocca via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> So I checked, and the code described *does not* run when behind a
> proxy of any kind, including tor:
>
> https://github.com/bitcoinxt/bitcoinxt/commit/73c9efe74c5cc8faea9c2b2c785a2f5b68aa4c23#diff-11780fa178b655146cb414161c635219R265
>
> At least based on my admittedly weak understanding of how the internal works.
>
> Hopefully I save the next reader of your post from also having to dig
> around to find the code and realize this is a false alert.

That's not entirely correct.

The code does disable downloading of the Tor exit node list if fListen
is false, or if there is a proxy setup, this means the statement:

>  Connections are made over clearnet even when using a proxy or
>  onlynet=tor,

is false. However, in the common scenario of a firewalled node, where
the operator has neglected to explicitly set -listen=0, the code does
still download the Tor exit node list, revealing the true location of
the node. This is contrary to the previous behavior of not revealing any
IP information in that configuration.

FWIW Gregory Maxwell removed the last "call home" feature in pull-req
#5161, by replacing the previous calls to getmyip.com-type services with
a local peer request. Similarly the DNS seeds use the DNS protocol
specifically to avoid leaking IP address information.

tl;dr: Yes, Bitcoin XT has a privacy problem with the automatic Tor exit
node list download.