[bitcoin-dev] Bitcoin XT Fork

odinn odinn.cyberguerrilla at riseup.net
Wed Aug 19 02:54:23 UTC 2015

The "XT Fork" (better said, a POS alt*) and those behind it make not
even a pretense to work through process involved with bitcoin developmen
t.

(*This is not intended as a slight toward any other alts, as here in
this post I am focusing solely on XT.)

Instead of abandoning their useless project, or at least conceding
that their alt is operating essentially outside of the development
funnel (by this I mean BIP process), the developers of XT, via their
latest presentation of XT give nothing more than an attack on bitcoin
(albeit one that, more than anything, is designed to sidetrack real
discussion necessary to resolve the issues so as to achieve some level
of consensus in block size debates).  Curiously, XT is not even truly
the implementation of BIP 101; the actual proposed implementation of
BIP 101 as proposed at
https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0101.mediawiki#implement
ation
is found here: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/6341
(It is currently a closed issue.)

It's probably valid to call into question why Mike Hearn in particular
persists with this project at all, as he has been its biggest
cheerleader. Some reasons may be:
1) His interest in attacking bitcoin in the past (seems to be a
recurring pattern)
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=333824.0

2) His employment (has come up before) - QinetiQ, Google, etc
https://plus.google.com/+MikeHearn/about - it's simply not
unreasonable to ask why he's pushing it so hard when nobody wants it.

3) Various reasons mentioned here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/39yaug/the_history_of_mike_hea
rn_and_why_you_should_not/

4) His disinterest in following what is actually happening with votes
on legitimate proposals (e.g. Garzik's BIP 100) in the blocks. (Caveat
~ one doesn't see the BIP 100 yet in bitcoin/bips because it won't
appear for another couple weeks, supposedly.  The miners' voting is
already happening however.) Even according to http://xtnodes.com/ we
see that XT runs minimal nodes in comparison to the rest of nodes
being run across the network.

BIP 100 itself is anticipated to be submitted w/ implementation in the
next 2 weeks and many miners are already voting on BIP 100 (as per
Jeff Garzik, from a post 08/12/2015 12:46 PM -0400 to this mailing list)
.

 It is an insult to see Hearn fling the XT turd into the community
repeatedly.

How then to end this XT madness?

"The ring was made in the fires of Mount Doom. Only there can it be
unmade. The ring must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the
fiery chasm from whence it came. One of you must do this."
- - Lord Elrond

Do not download this loathsome XT thing. Cast it back into the fires
from whence it came.

- -Odinn