[bitcoin-dev] Dynamically Controlled Bitcoin Block Size Max Cap

Milly Bitcoin milly at bitcoins.info
Fri Aug 21 00:45:53 UTC 2015

The idea is to come up with some sort of standardized metric so as the
tools and issues come up you are comparing similar things.

The first thing you have to do is link "centralization pressure" and
(pressure to merge with a big miner) to some sort of overall
decentralization metric.  For instance, how much do big miners reduce
decentralization to begin with?  That is a complicated analysis on its
own.  Then you can measure specif use cases with a tool like that.

the idea at least is that the metrics do not "take sides" on any issue
and just provide a measure of whatever it is you are measuring.

most of the references have to do with measuring decentralization in
political systems so a system would need to be developed to apply to
software projects like Bitcoin:

http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/polisci/faculty/treisman/Papers/defin.pdf

http://www.hks.harvard.edu/fs/pnorris/Acrobat/stm103%20articles/Schneider_Decentralization.pdf

Russ