[bitcoin-dev] Revisiting NODE_BLOOM: Proposed BIP

Peter Todd pete at petertodd.org
Fri Aug 21 22:06:16 UTC 2015

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 05:55:58PM +0000, Matt Corallo wrote:
> Revised copy follows. re: mentioning the HTTP seeding stuff, I'm not
> sure we want to encourage more people aside from bitcoinj to use
> that...I thought about adding a DNS seed section to this bip, but
> decided against it...still, I think we should add the option to select
> service bits to DNS seeds ASAP.

Well, in general relying on seeds every time you start your node is a
really bad idea; doing so much be carefully weighed against the
downsides and should be used only as a last resort. Nodes should be
doing caching and proper gossip protocol participation whenever
possible. (note how bitcoinj nodes *do* rely on centralized servers,
implemented with an unauthenticated, unencrypted, protocol - the worst
of all possible solutions with many possible MITM vectors and privacy
security holes)

To that end, I'd be inclined to leave the DNS seed protocol as it is and
let others solve the centralized server use-case, for which Cartographer
isn't all that bad of a load balancing mechanism. Also as gmaxwell noted
on IRC, adding flag bits does have privacy implications.

> Re: need to "shard" the blockchain: not sure what you're referring to
> here. The bloom filter stuff requires you to download the chain
> in-order, sure, but you have to do that for headers anyway, and
> hopefully your total data isnt too much more than headers alone.

Any protocol change that would split blocks themselves into multiples.
Not an easy problem to solve, but given the inherent O(n^2) scaling of
global consensus blockchains, it's the only kind of solution that could
in the future make the blockchain itself have reasonable scalability.

> Anyone have the best reference for the DoS issues?

Well actually, we can reference the DoS attacks that Bitcoin XT nodes
are undergoing right now - part of the attack is repeated Bloom filter
requests to soak up disk IO bandwidth. I've CC'd Gavin and Mike - as far
as I know they haven't published details of those attacks - a write-up
would be very helpful.

While so far those are being directed only at XT nodes, obviously this
is a potential issue for Core nodes as well. Like I mentioned last time
around, it's critical that miners aren't affected by these attacks -
nodes simply serving SPV wallet clients are much less latency sensitive,
so a good DoS attack mitigation strategy would be to have the two
classes of nodes out there "in the wild"

--
'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org
00000000000000000402fe6fb9ad613c93e12bddfc6ec02a2bd92f002050594d