[bitcoin-dev] Consensus based block size retargeting algorithm (draft)

Ahmed Zsales ahmedzsales18 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 00:06:26 UTC 2015

Interesting.

Unless I misunderstand the proposal, you would have to factor a way to deal
with miner cartel behavior. A few emails every week and the larger miners
could collude to set prices.

With that figured, then your voting proposal could be triggered by a moving
day block average which takes into account capacity for any given period,
plus a level of headroom for unexpected spikes. The issue with this is
forward planning is more important, especially when the moving average is
longer than a week.

Credit card providers and retailers use a number of factors to plan for
capacity on a regional basis. From previous years figures, long-term
weather forecasts, annual calendar events, one off events, etc. A global
currency can't use many of these tools for forward planning.

E.g. religious holidays are among the biggest events for transactions; if
we take Christmas, your proposal could work out a capacity during a quiet
period in November leading to a downward adjustment which then sees
transactions getting maxed out during the two weeks before Christmas eve.
You could then have an upward adjustment, but people stop spending on
Christmas day.

These are human factors that need to be considered.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 11:22 PM, Btc Drak via bitcoin-dev <