[bitcoin-dev] Revisiting NODE_BLOOM: Proposed BIP

Eric Lombrozo elombrozo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 17:58:55 UTC 2015

When I was working on mSIGNA I became a little torn on the whole filtering
mechanism. I fully support connection filtering...but in practice always
run my own full node instances to connect to due to the three fatal flaws:
1) no mechanism for short proofs of tx nonexclusion, txout unspentness,
block validity, nor the ability to find the first instance of the use of a
scriptPubKey without full blockchain scanning, 2) poor privacy, 3) lack of
incentives to run servers.

I always felt that BIP37 was necessarily a step towards a client/server
architecture.

Having said that, I have found the filter mechanism useful, if only because
no "special" server is required. However, in practice I'd rather make the
distinction between trustless peers and a client/server model more explicit.

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015, 10:41 AM Wladimir J. van der Laan via bitcoin-dev <