[bitcoin-dev] Revisiting NODE_BLOOM: Proposed BIP

Matt Corallo lf-lists at mattcorallo.com
Mon Aug 24 18:28:59 UTC 2015

On 08/24/15 18:15, Eric Lombrozo wrote:
> It would be very useful to not only be able to switch filtering on and
> off globally...but to be able to switch on a per-connection basis.

I'm not sure what your reasoning for this is? If your concern is that
someone starts DoS attacking you with bloom-based attacks, you should
just disconnect them as an attacker, and announce that you support bloom
filtering globally. If you want to serve your own nodes, then I dont
think this BIP doesnt allow you to do so, just needs an implementation.

> But
> then again, perhaps it would be smarter to ditch the whole bloom filter
> thing in favor of an actual client/server architecture with proper
> authentication and access controls.

Trustless (and non-privacy-losing) proposals welcome :)