[bitcoin-dev] [BIP-draft] CHECKSEQUENCEVERIFY - An opcode for relative locktime

Mark Friedenbach mark at friedenbach.org
Tue Aug 25 22:08:32 UTC 2015

To follow up on this, let's say that you want to be able to have up to 1
year relative lock-times. This choice is somewhat arbitrary and what I
would like some input on, but I'll come back to this point.

 * 1 bit is necessary to enable/disable relative lock-time.

 * 1 bit is necessary to indicate whether seconds vs blocks as the unit of
measurement.

 * 1 year of time with 1-second granularity requires 25 bits. However since
blocks occur at approximately 10 minute intervals on average, having a
relative lock-time significantly less than this interval doesn't make much
sense. A granularity of 256 seconds would be greater than the Nyquist
frequency and requires only 17 bits.

 * 1 year of blocks with 1-block granularity requires 16 bits.

So time-based relative lock time requires about 19 bits, and block-based
relative lock-time requires about 18 bits. That leaves 13 or 14 bits for
other uses.

Assuming a maximum of 1-year relative lock-times. But what is an
appropriate maximum to choose? The use cases I have considered have only
had lock times on the order of a few days to a month or so. However I would
feel uncomfortable going less than a year for a hard maximum, and am having
trouble thinking of any use case that would require more than a year of
lock-time. Can anyone else think of a use case that requires >1yr relative
lock-time?

TL;DR