[bitcoin-dev] Questiosn about BIP100

jl2012 at xbt.hk jl2012 at xbt.hk
Fri Aug 28 03:02:47 UTC 2015

Mode could be ruled out immediately. Just consider this: 34% 8MB, 33%
1.5MB, 33% 1.2MB

I personally believe the median is the most natural and logical choice.
51% of miners can always force the 49% to follow the simple majority
choice through a 51% attack. Using median will eliminate the incentive
to 51% attack due to this reason. The incentive to 51% attack will exist
when you use any value other than 50-percentile. The further it is from
50, the bigger the incentive.

Having said that, I don't think it is an absolutely bad idea to use a
value other than 50-percentile. The exact value is debatable.

However, if you use something other than median, you should make it
symmetrical. For example, the block size will increase if the
20-percentile is bigger than the current limit, and the block size will
decrease if the 80-percentile is smaller than the current limit.

Jeff Garzik via bitcoin-dev 於 2015-08-27 16:49 寫到: