[bitcoin-dev] Consensus based block size retargeting algorithm (draft)

jl2012 at xbt.hk jl2012 at xbt.hk
Sat Aug 29 09:38:17 UTC 2015

We need some game theory experts to analyse this but I see there are 3
major problems:

1. Tragedy of the commons: Some miners have to scarify their income to
increase the block size, and all miners will share the beneficial
outcome of the increase. All miners would like to be free riders.

2. Promote the formation of mining cartel: miners have to make sure that
their vote for increase is supported by at least 50% of miners, or they
will lose income for nothing. A miner also needs to make sure that he is
not voting "excessively" (in terms of size and vote count), as the
excessive part will never be counted due to the use of median. So
basically you will either have exactly 1009 miners voting for the same
size increase in a cycle, or have no vote for increase at all. That will
require a lot of offline negotiations. Such cartel may work ONLY if
mining is highly centralized, and miners trust each other. Also, there
is no mechanism to punish those who betray the cartel.

3. Imbalance of power: it is costly to increase the size, while totally
free to decrease the size

Btc Drak via bitcoin-dev 於 2015-08-28 16:28 寫到: