[bitcoin-dev] Consensus based block size retargeting algorithm (draft)

jl2012 at xbt.hk jl2012 at xbt.hk
Sat Aug 29 19:03:57 UTC 2015

I am quite skeptical about any pay-to-increase proposal because it is
difficult to predict the game dynamics and determine the right amount of
penalty. But anyway, here is my response to your revised proposal:

1. I agree with you that there should be a cap in the rate of change,
and also the maximum possible size. This is already part of BIP100

2. Requiring a higher difficulty is bad for everyone:
  a) it increases the variance of the miner;
  b) average confirmation time for all tx are increased. It may even
cause a feedback: many tx in mempool -> increase block size -> wait
longer for confirmation -> more tx in mempool;
  c) difficulty of the next round will be decreased, leading to a greater
fluctuation in confirmation time.

Instead, you should require miners to burn their coinbase reward. This
is effectively same as higher difficulty but is good for everyone: a)
mining variance and confirmation time unchanged; b) all bitcoin holders
become relatively richer

If you don't want to burn any bitcoin, you may require the miner the
send to penalty to <840000 + current height> OP_CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY,
which will subsidize the mining when the block reward drops below 1 BTC

3. It is a better idea to allow mining of a bigger block immediately,
which reduces (but not eliminates) the problem of tragedy of the
commons. However, you can't use the blocksize as the vote. Mining an
empty block doesn't mean the miner wants to decrease the block size to
200 bytes. That will just encourage some miners to fill up a block with
garbage which does no good for anyone. Therefore, you need to look at
both the actual block size and the coinbase vote, and always take the
bigger value to determine the penalty and the max block size of next
round. If a miner includes nothing in the coinbase, it should be
consider as a vote for the current max block size.

Btc Drak via bitcoin-dev 於 2015-08-29 06:15 寫到: