[bitcoin-dev] Capacity increases for the Bitcoin system.

Ryan Butler rryananizer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 04:44:09 UTC 2015

>I agree, but nothing I have advocated creates significant technical
>debt. It is also a bad engineering practice to combine functional
>changes (especially ones with poorly understood system wide
>consequences and low user autonomy) with structural tidying.

I don't think I would classify placing things in consensus critical code
when it doesn't need to be as "structural tidying".  Gavin said "pile on"
which you took as implying "a lot", he can correct me, but I believe he
meant "add to".

> (especially ones with poorly understood system wide consequences and low
user autonomy)

This implies there you have no confidence in the unit tests and functional
testing around Bitcoin and should not be a reason to avoid refactoring.
It's more a reason to increase testing so that you will have confidence
when you refactor.

Also I don't think Martin Fowler would agree with you...

"Refactoring should be done in conjunction with adding new features."

"Always leave the code better than when you found it."

"Often you start working on adding new functionality and you realize the
existing structures don't play well with what you're about to do.

In this situation it usually pays to begin by refactoring the existing code
into the shape you now know is the right shape for what you're about to do."

-Martin Fowler

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 7:31 PM, Gregory Maxwell via bitcoin-dev <