[bitcoin-dev] Scaling by Partitioning

Loi Luu loi.luuthe at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 06:30:24 UTC 2015

Dear Akiva,

Its Loi Luu, one of the authors of the SCP protocol (
http://eprint.iacr.org/2015/1168.pdf ).

Before SCP, we had been thinking hard about how to do sharding efficiently
without degrading any security guarantee. A simple solution which splits
the coins, or TXs in to several partitions will just not work. You have to
answer more questions to have a good solutions. For example, I wonder in
your proposal, if a transaction spends a "coin" that ends in "1" and
creates a new coin that ends in "1", which partition should process the
transaction? What is the prior data needed to validate that kind of TXs?

The problem with other proposals, and probably yours as well,  that we see
is that the amount of data that you need to broadcast immediately to the
network increases linearly with the number of TXs that the network can
process. Thus, sharding does not bring any advantage than simply using
other techniques to publish more blocks in one epoch (like Bitcoin-NG,
Ghost). The whole point of using sharding/ partition is to localize
the bandwidth used, and only broadcast only a minimal data to the network.

Clearly we are able to localize the bandwidth used with our SCP protocol.
The cost is that now recipients need to  themselves verify whether a
transaction is double spending. However, we think that it is a reasonable
tradeoff, given the potential scalability that SCP can provides.

Thanks,
Loi Luu.

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 12:27 AM, Akiva Lichtner via bitcoin-dev <