[bitcoin-dev] Standard BIP Draft: Turing Pseudo-Completeness

Luke Durback luke.durback at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 21:45:44 UTC 2015

>If it's voting for something consensus, you will need something special.
If it's not consensus (ie external) thw voting doesn't have to hit the
chain at all.

I had in mind voting for something that can't be trusted if done
externally:  Perhaps BIPs for instance.  People would somehow "mark" their
BTC as being "For Proposition X" (as opposed to all other propositions) and
the vote would be canceled as soon as the BTC is spent again.

Unfortunately, I've spent the past 2 days trying to find a design that
would allow this (I don't think my original suggestion made sense in the
context of how transactions work), and I haven't gotten much yet.

>But each scriptSig is only executed once with its corresponding
scriptPubKey. Are you proposing we change that?

Sorry, I didn't understand Bitcoin's transaction model well enough when I
first made the proposal.  If Turing Pseudo-Completeness is possible with
Bitcoin, then I understand now that it could not require you to execute a
script more than once.  My current thought is that recursion can be
accomplished via checking if the next output's scriptPubKey is identical in
every way to the current scriptPubKey.  Unfortunately, a lot more is needed
than just recursion in order to do on-chain BTC voting the way I have in
mind.  I'll keep working on this.