[bitcoin-dev] Segregated Witness in the context of Scaling Bitcoin

Mark Friedenbach mark at friedenbach.org
Thu Dec 17 09:33:26 UTC 2015

There are many reasons to support segwit beyond it being a soft-fork. For
example:

* the limitation of non-witness data to no more than 1MB makes the
quadratic scaling costs in large transaction validation no worse than they
currently are;
* redeem scripts in witness use a more accurate cost accounting than
non-witness data (further improvements to this beyond what Pieter has
implemented are possible); and
* segwit provides features (e.g. opt-in malleability protection) which are
required by higher-level scaling solutions.

With that in mind I really don't understand the viewpoint that it would be
better to engage a strictly inferior proposal such as a simple adjustment
of the block size to 2MB.

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 1:32 PM, jl2012 via bitcoin-dev <