[bitcoin-dev] Segregated Witness in the context of Scaling Bitcoin

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 18:52:39 UTC 2015

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 1:46 PM, jl2012 <jl2012 at xbt.hk> wrote:

> This is not correct.
>
> As only about 1/3 of nodes support BIP65 now, would you consider CLTV tx
> are less secure than others? I don't think so. Since one invalid CLTV tx
> will make the whole block invalid. Having more nodes to fully validate
> non-CLTV txs won't make them any safer. The same logic also applies to SW
> softfork.

Yes - the logic applies to all soft forks.  Each soft fork degrades the
security of non-upgraded nodes.

The core design of bitcoin is that trustless nodes validate the work of
miners, not trust them.

Soft forks move in the opposite direction.  Each new soft-forked feature
leans very heavily on miner trust rather than P2P network validation.