[bitcoin-dev] Segregated witness softfork with moderate adoption has very small block size effect

Justus Ranvier justus at openbitcoinprivacyproject.org
Sat Dec 19 17:55:10 UTC 2015

On 12/19/2015 10:49 AM, jl2012 via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> I am not convinced that SW softfork should be the *only* short term
> scalability solution

I don't think SW is relevant at all with respect to scalability.

Fraud proofs are extremely important from a security perspective. The
network as it exists now places too much trust in miners. Creating a way
for non-full node clients to reject chains with contain invalid
transactions regardless of how much hashing power produces the invalid
chains is essential for the security of the network.

Adding a fraud proof system into blocks means that other features, like
committed UTXO sets, become less unsafe to deploy.

Solving transaction malleability is a very nice to have feature.

A scalability solution, IMHO, is "how do we buy some time to allow
continue usage growth while working on creating a situation where it
becomes safe to eliminate maximum block size as a consensus rule?"