[bitcoin-dev] We need to fix the block withholding attack

jl2012 jl2012 at xbt.hk
Sat Dec 19 20:03:28 UTC 2015

After the meeting I find a softfork solution. It is very inefficient and
I am leaving it here just for record.

1. In the first output of the second transaction of a block, mining pool
will commit a random nonce with an OP_RETURN.

2. Mine as normal. When a block is found, the hash is concatenated with
the committed random nonce and hashed.

3. The resulting hash must be smaller than 2 ^ (256 - 1/64) or the block
is invalid. That means about 1% of blocks are discarded.

4. For each difficulty retarget, the secondary target is decreased by 2
^ 1/64.

5. After 546096 blocks or 10 years, the secondary target becomes 2 ^
252. Therefore only 1 in 16 hash returned by hasher is really valid.
This should make the detection of block withholding attack much easier.

All miners have to sacrifice 1% reward for 10 years. Confirmation will
also be 1% slower than it should be.

If a node (full or SPV) is not updated, it becomes more vulnerable as an
attacker could mine a chain much faster without following the new rules.
But this is still a softfork, by definition.

ok, back to topic. Do you mean this?
http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2012-June/001506.html

Peter Todd via bitcoin-dev 於 2015-12-19 13:42 寫到: