[bitcoin-dev] Increasing the blocksize as a (generalized) softfork.

joe2015 at openmailbox.org joe2015 at openmailbox.org
Mon Dec 21 03:58:50 UTC 2015

On 2015-12-21 11:39, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 20, 2015 at 12:21 PM, joe2015--- via bitcoin-dev
> <bitcoin-dev at lists.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> Current hard fork implementations include / will include miner
> lock-in, just like any soft fork.  They will not activate if global
> consensus is not reached.

That's not true at all. They activate with a miner majority (e.g. 75%,
95%, etc.), not global consensus.  Here global really means global, i.e.
miner, economic, all clients, etc.  In the case of a hardfork there is
nothing stopping the miner minority from continuing the old chain.  With
a softfork the miner minority is forced to upgrade otherwise their
blocks will be eventually orphaned.

My proposal achieves a hardfork-like blocksize limit increase but, like
a softfork, also forces the miner minority to upgrade.

--joe.