[bitcoin-dev] Segregated Witness BIPs

Eric Lombrozo elombrozo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 15:22:30 UTC 2015

I've been working with jl2012 on some SEGWIT BIPs based on earlier
discussions Pieter Wuille's implementation. We're considering submitting
three separate BIPs:

CONSENSUS BIP: witness structures and how they're committed to blocks,
cost metrics and limits, the scripting system (witness programs), and
the soft fork mechanism.

PEER SERVICES BIP: relay message structures, witnesstx serialization,
and other issues pertaining to the p2p protocol such as IBD,
synchronization, tx and block propagation, etc...

APPLICATIONS BIP: scriptPubKey encoding formats and other wallet
interoperability concerns.

The Consensus BIP is submitted as a draft and is pending BIP number
assignment: https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/pull/265
The other two BIPS will be drafted soon.

---
Eric