[bitcoin-dev] Block size: It's economics & user preparation & moral hazard

Aaron Voisine voisine at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 06:26:11 UTC 2015

> You present this as if the Bitcoin Core development team is in charge
> of deciding the network consensus rules, and is responsible for
> making changes to it in order to satisfy economic demand. If that is
> the case, Bitcoin has failed, in my opinion.

Pieter, what's actually happening is that the bitcoin-core release has
become a Schelling point in the consensus game:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schelling_point

Due to the strong incentives for consensus, everyone is looking for an
obvious reference point that they think everyone else will also pick, even
though the point itself isn't critical, only that everyone agree on
whatever point is picked. Like it or not, the bitcoin-core release, and by
extension it's committers have a great degree of influence over what the
community as a whole decides to do. If core screws things up badly enough,
yes, the community will settle on some other focal point for consensus, but
the cost and risk of doing so is high, so there is indeed unavoidable moral
hazard for whoever has control over any such focus point.

Aaron Voisine
co-founder and CEO
breadwallet <http://breadwallet.com>

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 10:34 AM, Pieter Wuille via bitcoin-dev <