[Bitcoin-development] Is there a way to estimate the maximum number of transactions per minute Bitcoin can handle as it is today?

Tom Harding tomh at thinlink.com
Sun Feb 1 06:50:41 UTC 2015

On 1/31/2015 5:11 AM, Wladimir wrote:
> The block chain is a single channel broadcasted over the entire world,
> and I don't believe it will ever be possible nor desirable to
> broadcast all the world's transactions over one channel.
>
> The everyone-validates-everything approach doesn't scale. It is however
> useful to settle larger transactions in an irreversible, zero-trust
> way. That's what makes the bitcoin system, as it is now, valuable.
>
> But it is absurd for the whole world to have to validate every
> purchase of a cup of coffee or a bus ticket by six billion others.

Well to be fair, nobody suggested 6 billion full nodes.  Although some
residential connections today do have Angel's 15G/10min... (sadly, not
mine).

One of the best points Gavin made is, it would be unwise to artificially
limit the number of transactions below the technical capabilities of the
network.  That's how competitions are lost.
http://gavintech.blogspot.com/2015/01/twenty-megabytes-testing-results.html