[Bitcoin-development] Proposal to address Bitcoin malware

Brian Erdelyi brian.erdelyi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 18:35:59 UTC 2015

> Bitcoin Authenticator is a desktop app+mobile app pair. It pairs with your phone over wifi, cloud push, maybe Bluetooth as well. I forget exactly.
>
> It's done in the same way as Lighthouse, so it runs Win/Mac/Linux on desktop and Android on mobile.
>
> It could be adapted to use BitGo as a third party key holder with SMS authenticator relatively easily, I think. We did the bulk of all the needed work last year as part of the bitcoinj multisig work. Then you'd have a server involved, but not a web app.

I really like the concept of Bitcoin Authenticator and think it’s exactly what I was describing (without a third-party).

I think it’s a bit confusing when they describe Bitcoin Authenticator as 2FA.  I think it may be more accurate to describe it as out of band transaction verification/signing or dual transaction signing.  Regardless, it’s very exciting to see others are thinking about this too.

Brian Erdelyi