[Bitcoin-development] Proposal to address Bitcoin malware

Eric Voskuil eric at voskuil.org
Tue Feb 3 00:41:20 UTC 2015

One clarification below.

On 02/02/2015 02:54 PM, Eric Voskuil wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2015, at 11:53 AM, Mike Hearn wrote:
>>
>> In sending the first-signed transaction to another for second
>> signature, how does the first signer authenticate to the second
>> without compromising the  independence of the two factors?
>>
>> Not sure what you mean. The idea is the second factor displays the
>> transaction and the user confirms it matches what they input to the
>> first factor. Ideally, using BIP70, but I don't know if BA actually
>> uses that currently.
>>
>> It's the same model as the TREZOR, except with a desktop app instead
>> of myTREZOR and a phone instead of a dedicated hardware device.
>
> Sorry for the slow reply, traveling.
>
> My comments were made in reference to this proposal:
>
>>> On Feb 2, 2015, at 10:40 AM, Brian Erdelyi <brian.erdelyi at gmail.com
>>> <mailto:brian.erdelyi at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Another concept...
>>>
>>> It should be possible to use multisig wallets to protect against
>>> malware.  For example, a user could generate a wallet with 3 keys and
>>> require a transaction that has been signed by 2 of those keys.  One
>>> key is placed in cold storage and anther sent to a third-party.
>>>
>>> It is now possible to generate and sign transactions on the users
>>> computer and send this signed transaction to the third-party for the
>>> second signature.  This now permits the use of out of band transaction
>>> verification techniques before the third party signs the transaction
>>> and sends to the blockchain.
>>>
>>> If the third-party is malicious or becomes compromised they would not
>>> have the ability to complete transactions as they only have one
>>> private key.  If the third-party disappeared, the user could use the
>>> key in cold storage to sign transactions and send funds to a new wallet.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?

My comments below start out with the presumption of user platform
compromise, but the same analysis holds for the case where the user
platform is clean but a web wallet is compromised. Obviously the idea is
that either or both may be compromised, but integrity is retained as
long as both are not compromised and in collusion.